Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Cheaper alternative to Carefresh?

• Thread starter AllThesePiggies
  • Start date

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to Carefresh out there that is just as good. I recently made a small bin type thing out of coroplast to go underneath the hay bag, so I use much more bedding than I did before.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Aspen is less expensive than Carefresh. Fleece is another option.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
I'd rather not use fleece as the hay gets stuck to it so easily. But I'll look up aspen, thanks!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't know if Aspen controls odors but Planet Petco recycled paper pellets for small animals is what I use for the kitchen since that's the only place my gp pees and does most of her pooping.

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
If theres a Walmart in your area, they sell Boxo bedding, its pretty much just like the Carefresh natural. i find that it kinda depends on the bag, sometimes it may be dustier than normal bags! works quite well.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I get my carefresh here!
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25435
If you get the "basic blend" its carefresh (the brown kind) mixed with aspen shavings and its only like $11 for the 60 liter bag. It is cheaper (I've calculated it) than most aspen shavings, with the odor control of carefresh and its less dusty because of the wood shavings.

ETA: right now its on sale for $8.39 lol

Last edited:

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, thanks everyone! I have heard about the paper pellets as well, but it was still a bit on the expensive side for me. :eek: I have never heard of the basic blend carefresh before, that's interesting! [MENTION=26216]aeiou[/MENTION] thank you for posting, I think I'm going to try that! :D

Artista

Cavy Slave
I also use Atlas Pellet Fuel which is safe wood pellets. $6.50 for a 40 lb bag. Found it at OSH thanks to Lissie here. Works great too!

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
I also use Atlas Pellet Fuel which is safe wood pellets. $6.50 for a 40 lb bag. Found it at OSH thanks to Lissie here. Works great too!

Wow, that sounds awesome! Is it good with odor control? Does it soak up urine well? And is it dusty at all?

Artista

Cavy Slave
Wow, that sounds awesome! Is it good with odor control? Does it soak up urine well? And is it dusty at all?

It's good with odor control and absorbs well. You can tell where the gp pees because that area turns to dust. My gp does fine with it. I do partial changes daily with scooping up the pee/dust areas. It's a price that I don't think can be beat.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
It's good with odor control and absorbs well. You can tell where the gp pees because that area turns to dust. My gp does fine with it. I do partial changes daily with scooping up the pee/dust areas. It's a price that I don't think can be beat.

Alright, thank you! I agree, the price is awesome, especially since I'm on such a low budget right now.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Glad you found something that worked! I can't use the pellets because my guinea pigs can't tell the difference between bedding pellets and food pellets..You'd think they'd realize the taste difference

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Aspen and kiln-dried pine are both safe for guinea pigs and significantly cheaper than paper-based bedding. Carefresh also makes a cheaper product that's a mix of their paper bedding and wood shavings.

If you do go the wood route, make sure it's not pine that isn't specifically kiln-dried, or cedar wood. Those have oils that have been known to cause respiratory issues in small animals.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I try to get recycled material Carefresh-type bedding. Unfortunately, that is more expensive. Kaytee brand (which I really don't like in general) has some for $14/50 liter at Pet Supply Plus. They often have it on sale for $11. While not recycled, it does not have much dust which I am allergic to. I find that PetSmart is much more expensive. I'll have to check out Walmart, but i hate that store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.