Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece YAY! New Fleece!

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
Yeee! so excited I just got new fleece from Jo-ann!lol Just a few questions
the fleece is blizzard, is this type going to need special preparations? If so what do i do?
I also just bought uhaul pads!
i cant wait to make them into liners!
should i make cage pads? or a cage liner?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Any fleece you buy should be washed and dried at least three times before using in the cage. When you wash and dry your fleece, don't use any fabric softener.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I hope it's okay for me to ask since it's not my thread but are dryer sheets okay to use?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Don't use dryer sheets. They put waterproof coating on the fabric.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
I hope it's okay for me to ask since it's not my thread but are dryer sheets okay to use?
NO IT NOT OKAY! HAHAHA JUST KIDDING :p Of course its okay to ask since thats what this forum is about lol
but no dont use dryer sheets or fabric softner since they dont let the fleece wick

C1407

Cavy Slave
Well no one's responded to my thread :( So what's the difference between a cage liner and pads? I have fleece and uhaul pads too, just not sure what to do with them yet (since I found out how annoying it would be to try and tuck the fleece in every time and make sure pigs don't pull it up). Looking for ideas on what's best and how to go about doing them.

Congrats on your purchases though :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can just put the uhaul pad down and put single ply fleece on top or it or sew them into fleece pads with fleece on two sides and uhaul pads in the middle. It does the same thing either way. It's just a matter of preference.

C1407

Cavy Slave
You can just put the uhaul pad down and put single ply fleece on top or it or sew them into fleece pads with fleece on two sides and uhaul pads in the middle. It does the same thing either way. It's just a matter of preference.
(Sorry if I'm taking over your thread!)

Would sewing everything together be easier to lay back down in the cage? And sewing everything into a pad would keep pigs from pulling up the fleece and moving it all over, right? But is it harder to wash pads that are that bulky (2 pads and fleece that fit a 2x4 cage in the washer?)?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use three pads in my 2 x 6 cage. I have a digger so I put weights in two spots and rocks in two others where the fleece meets. My pads have fleece on two sides with a single layer of uhaul padding in between. I could have made pads to fit the cage but I made smaller ones so I can take out one at a time to clean under them and put in fresh ones without taking out the gpigs. The pads aren't bulky and wash and dry fast because the uhaul pads are 100% cotton. To make them, I cut out 2 pieces of fleece and one piece of uhaul padding of the same time. I lay down both fleece pieces with the uhaul piece on top. I stitch around 3 sides and about half of the fourth side. I trim the uhaul pad close to the seam. I flip it so the fleece is on two sides and the uhaul pad inside. I stitch the remaining side that's open and sew all around the pad; 1 or 2" from the edge.

C1407

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot!

Do you think making a single 2x4 pad would be too big (if I use 2 uhaul pads)?

pinky

Cavy Slave
No, I don't think it will be too big at all. Some of mine are 3 grids long and they aren't that big. I wash them in the same load with my other fleece pads so there's a lot of room in the washer, even with that one.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
Do you have like a picture guide? cuz i really want to make my pads like yours but id like to know if I do it right

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't but I can try and write out some directions.

Once I decide on the size I want, I cut out newspapers to use as a template. I make the pads at least 2" larger than the width of the cage which means I add about 3" to the cage width to allow for a .50" stitch seam on both sides, plus the extra inch on each side so the fleece slightly goes up both sides of the cage. This keeps poop from getting stuck between the fleece and coroplast.

I pin the newpaper template to the fleece and cut out two pieces. I also use it to cut out my one piece of uhaul padding. I lay one piece of fleece on top of the other. I put the uhaul padding on top of both so it's fleece, fleece and uhaul pad on top. (If there is a right and wrong side to the fleece, you need to lay it so the first piece of fleece has the pattern facing up, the second piece has the pattern facing down so when you flip it over, the pattern will be on the outside.) I pin the sides all around the fleece and uhaul pieces to hold them together when I sew them. Fleece stretches so it helps hold it in place. I stitch a .5" seam around three sides and continue to stitch about a half of the fourth side so there's enough of an opening so you can turn it inside out. Before I do, I remove the pins and trim the uhaul padding close to the seam. I don't trim the fleece edge. I put my hand in the opening between the fleece pieces and turn it inside out so there's fleece on the outside and the uhaul pad is in the middle. The next thing I do is to stitch closed the open edge. I turn the edge under and just stitch really close to the edge. Then I make sure the pad is very flat and pin around the edges to hold it in place and stitch all around the pad, approx. 1" from the edge. You can stitch in both directions across the pad if you want. The uhaul pad is pretty dense so I haven't done that and they have still held together well. I hope this makes sense. I still use all the cotton batting and uhaul pads I've made and they've all held up well.
Do you have like a picture guide? cuz i really want to make my pads like yours but id like to know if I do it right

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! When i get my fleece and uhaul pad sometime this week im going to start making them! Cant wait!!!! lol
Just one question what do you mean when you say you trim the uhaul pads?

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
Finally!!! my uhaul pads are here!!!!!!
i was coming home and i could see a box in front of my house. i knew automatically that they were the uhaul blankets! im so happy i cant wait for my fleece to get here so i can start making my fleece pads! lol
ill post the pictures soon!

pinky

Cavy Slave
After I stitch around the sides, if I didn't trim the uhaul pad close to the seam, the edge would be bulky when I turned it over. You don't have to trim it, but it lays flatter and you don't have thick sides when you turn it inside out. You can just sew it without trimming it and flip it inside out and see how it looks. You can always turn it inside out again and trim it.
Thanks so much! When i get my fleece and uhaul pad sometime this week im going to start making them! Cant wait!!!! lol
Just one question what do you mean when you say you trim the uhaul pads?

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
After I stitch around the sides, if I didn't trim the uhaul pad close to the seam, the edge would be bulky when I turned it over. You don't have to trim it, but it lays flatter and you don't have thick sides when you turn it inside out. You can just sew it without trimming it and flip it inside out and see how it looks. You can always turn it inside out again and trim it.
Gotcha! well now i just wait for my fleece lol

winstonandwally

Cavy Slave
what are uhaul pads?

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
YAY the new fleece is here!!!!!! Im so happy!! Now i can start making my uhaul pads!!!! AHHHHHHH im so happy!!! lol memories 009.jpgmemories 010.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.