Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits What breed is my rabbit?

Eswardfordaween

Cavy Slave
Hey I just got my pet rabbit today and I was wondering what specific breed it was? The pet store employee said he was a dwarf but doesn't know the exact dwarf breed. Also, could it be a mix of a dwarf and a normal size rabbit? It looks kinda big to be just a dwarf rabbit. Here's a close up picture (left) and a picture to give you a gist on how big it is (right).

photo.jpg photo (1).jpg

I was thinking it was a mix of a Jersey wooley?
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-56LontroN-8/Tork3dBbAhI/AAAAAAAAA9c/VHn_FSOQr3Y/s1600/Jersey_Wooly.jpg
c
ause Shiro (my rabbit) has similar ears and fur?

Other information:
-It is 6 weeks old right now
-Shiro's a male
-I got him today :D
-He's still getting used to his new home
-He kinda poops everywhere but sometimes in his litter box where his hay is
-He doesn't know how to jump on that platform with the dark blue fleece yet (Which leads to the second floor)

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure of his breed, but his pattern looks kind of like Bubba's which I believe is called "broken."
DSC01189.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what breed Bubba is either, but I think he's a lionhead because he has a fluffy face like the lionhead's do.

DSC01215.jpg

Shiro doesn't have a fluffy face but he has a fluffy butt. I'm guessing he's mixed with something. Possibly the Jersey wooly like you suggested.

Good luck with your new bunny! They are a ton of work, but they make amazing pets!

Eswardfordaween

Cavy Slave
Thanks emeraldamykate! They actually do have the same fur "pattern" so it could be a possibility but just different colors. And thanks!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
No he's not a Jersey Wooly or any angora mix. His hair is too short.

Ear length is one way to determine breed but it isn't the best way. A rabbit born in a hot summer, for example, would have larger ears than a rabbit born in the winter.

Without getting my hands on him it is just too hard to say. He looks big for 6 weeks. A dwarf rabbit should be between 3 and 5 lbs, if this guy really is 6 weeks old (and I'm kind of doubting that based on the pics) he's going to be closer to 7-10 lbs.

His color looks like a broken steel which basically means he is a gray and white spotted rabbit. Almost all rabbit breeds have this color variety.

How big is your cage? It looks like a 2x2? It should be at least 2 grids wide and at least 3 hops long as an adult sized rabbit. Probably anywhere between 3-5 grids. It should also be at least 2 grids high.

He will need to be fixed around 4-6 months old. So get a vet lined up. Once he's fixed look into adopting him a girl friend. Go through a rescue bonding bunnies can be very, very, trying.

Going back to breed... He's probably a Netherlands Dwarf mixes as most breeders "make" their dwarf mixes with NDs.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Emreldamykate - your bunny is most likely a lion head or a lion head cross. His color looks like broken red. Again almost all rabbit breeds have this color.

The spot pattern is just the way rabbits are spotted. You'll find that pattern no matter what the breed. Even the long haired ones. :)

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Emreldamykate - your bunny is most likely a lion head or a lion head cross. His color looks like broken red. Again almost all rabbit breeds have this color.

The spot pattern is just the way rabbits are spotted. You'll find that pattern no matter what the breed. Even the long haired ones. :)

Ooh! Thank you! I knew he had some lion head in him!
I always thought the term for the spots was "broken."
I guess you really do learn something every day. :D

Wait- you said it was called broken. Oops.
I guess the thing I learned today was to read things more carefully before responding. :D

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Yep all spotted rabbits are called broken then the color they are broken with. Like your rabbit has red spots so he's a broken red.

Eswardfordaween

Cavy Slave
No he's not a Jersey Wooly or any angora mix. His hair is too short.

Ear length is one way to determine breed but it isn't the best way. A rabbit born in a hot summer, for example, would have larger ears than a rabbit born in the winter.

Without getting my hands on him it is just too hard to say. He looks big for 6 weeks. A dwarf rabbit should be between 3 and 5 lbs, if this guy really is 6 weeks old (and I'm kind of doubting that based on the pics) he's going to be closer to 7-10 lbs.

His color looks like a broken steel which basically means he is a gray and white spotted rabbit. Almost all rabbit breeds have this color variety.

How big is your cage? It looks like a 2x2? It should be at least 2 grids wide and at least 3 hops long as an adult sized rabbit. Probably anywhere between 3-5 grids. It should also be at least 2 grids high.

He will need to be fixed around 4-6 months old. So get a vet lined up. Once he's fixed look into adopting him a girl friend. Go through a rescue bonding bunnies can be very, very, trying.

Going back to breed... He's probably a Netherlands Dwarf mixes as most breeders "make" their dwarf mixes with NDs.

Thanks for the advice! The employees said it was about 6 weeks old, but how old do you think it is? Cause I've been following a baby's diet (unlimited pellets, unlimited hay, no veggies, treats) and I don't want to give him the wrong diet. He has a 2x2 cage and will be free ranged in my room once he gets comfortable the first few days. Also thanks for the breed answer.

I have another question!
So since he's still trying to get comfy with his new home how many days should I give him to get comfy? I've read that you're supposed to give it a few days and leave it alone till their comfy and then you can start handling/gaining trust/bond with them?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I can't tell from the pictures how old he is for sure. He just doesn't have that "baby" look that 6 week old rabbits have. If the bunny really is a boy he will drop his testis around 4 months old. Then you will really know about how old he is.

You can start petting him and talking nice to him. Rabbits don't generally like to be picked up but you should start to get him use to it for vet trips and such.

I have a lot more links on care and cages but I'm on my phone right now, I'll post back later with more info.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Eswardfordaween

Cavy Slave
Lol thank you!

Eswardfordaween

Cavy Slave
I can't tell from the pictures how old he is for sure. He just doesn't have that "baby" look that 6 week old rabbits have. If the bunny really is a boy he will drop his testis around 4 months old. Then you will really know about how old he is.

You can start petting him and talking nice to him. Rabbits don't generally like to be picked up but you should start to get him use to it for vet trips and such.

I have a lot more links on care and cages but I'm on my phone right now, I'll post back later with more info.

Shiro kinda looks a little over a "baby" and more like a "toddler" I would say. Do you think it would help if I gave you a face picture of him? Well I'm pretty sure your right and it's not 6 weeks old. I can't believe those employees lied!

Oh and yes, links would be helpful. I'll still keep him on unlimited pellets hay and on a baby's diet till he's 6 months.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
First you are going to need to get your rabbit fixed once he is old enough. Males can spray smelly urine all the way across a room if not fixed. Females are more territorial than males and are actually more likely to fight with each other than males. Fixed rabbits will be much happier with each other than intact animals and much better pets. Fixing a rabbit changes a lot of those unwanted bunny behaviors like sent marking, humping, spraying, aggression, female cycles, etc.

Check out this video to see how to sex rabbits. Pet stores are normally not known for their abilities in this department:

Bobtails Rescue: How to sex a rabbit - YouTube

Once your bunny is fixed and healed you should get him a friend. Rabbits, like guinea pigs, crave the attention of their own species. Your rabbit will be much happier with a rabbit friend. Rabbits tend to do better with the opposite sex, but not always. I have had very closely bonded male/male pairs before. It would be best to go to a rescue and have them help pair your rabbit with a buddy. Rabbits are much trickier to pair than guinea pigs ever could be. I promise!

This is one of my favorite cages for rabbits. Easy to make and does NOT cost 200 dollars like the guy says. I spent about 60 on mine. Use 3/4" plywood when making the cage because it will not bow and does not need extra support. (not even grid support if you use lots of zip-ties!)

How to Build a Rabbit Condo - YouTube

RWFA has a great video on outdoor hutches and more information on their website. It’s not recommended to keep rabbits outside though but it is fun to let them run around outside in a safe environment. ((broken link removed))

A hutch is not enough video - YouTube

This is the House Rabbit Society page which is awesome. The rabbits are going to need toys to keep them happy. Lots of cat toys are good for bunnies, mine loved toys with bells and things they could pick up and throw around. Some dog toys are good too if the rabbits are big enough. Then of course there are bunny toys and ferret toys. All good for bunnies =D

Bunny will need to be litter trained. (FAQ: Litter Training) A good litter for bunnies is wood pellets or yesterdays news since they don't get stuck to their bunny fur and aren’t usually kicked out.

There is so much more to say but a good place to start is the House Rabbit Society. If you have any more questions while looking around there please ask!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.