Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Can I feed my guinea pigs fresh grass, dandelions, and other forages?

Trace_n_Ripley

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info on the clover -- I was just at our community garden plot and there was all this nice grass and red clover growing and I'm glad to find they can eat that as well as the white.

Now, how did they know when I walked in the kitchen and washed my hands that I had some fresh greens for them??? They started wheeking really loud at me! Sometimes, I swear they're psychic!

masher

Cavy Slave
Can somebody please tell me if Elderflower leaves are harmful or not?

masher

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know answer to above question - I really can't for/against info anywhere??

^dawn^

Cavy Slave
hi masher, I wouldn't feed Elderflower leaves.

(broken link removed)

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
How about the actual flowers? Would they be OK for cavies (if I can spare any after making elderflower cordial and elderflower fritters!)

masher

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks - was just wondering because as Jabberwock mentioned we make elderflower cordial and was just checking we weren't wasting the leaves. Thanks :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think I'd skip the flowers as well. The plant has diuretic properties and most likely won't be good for our furry little friends.

Ledasmom

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know whether guinea pigs can have goldenrod? This is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but since the backyard is overgrown with it I thought I'd ask.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Goldenrod is on the poisonous plants list, so it's not safe to feed. Contains high levels of nitrates.

masher

Cavy Slave
Hi I just noticed stinging nettles on the suitable plants list, but I was just wondering if this has any ill effect on guinea pigs at all? Would they not sting their tongues?

Thanks.

TrekkiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I would just like to add that if you feed chickweed, make sure you never plant Lobelia ( Lobelia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) or harvest from an area where Lobelia has been previously planted. Lobelia looks an awful lot like chickweed when not blooming, and it is poisonous (its other common names include Pukeweed and Vomitwort). However, it has lovely purple flowers, is hardy, and often reseeds, so it is a common garden plant. If you're ever unsure, only feed blooming chickweed ( Stellaria media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The flowers are very different in shape and color, so it's easy to tell the two plants apart.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
What about like oats and just wheat? I'm just curious and not planning on feeding them either of the two, but I'd like to know if I could.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
What about like oats and just wheat? I'm just curious and not planning on feeding them either of the two, but I'd like to know if I could.
Preferably oats shouldn't be fed as cavies have a bit harder time digesting these types of grains. I could see feeding oats in a case where there is a severely underweight pig to help gain a bit of weight but there are also other products such as Critical care that are better to help gain weight.

There are so many types of wheat, not sure what kind of wheat you are referring to? Wheat bran, wheat grass?

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if there is much sugar in grass? I ask because I have a diabetic piggy...

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Can guinea pigs have chives? I haven't seen it on any lists, recommended or poisonous/harmful.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Yes, but only the green parts and not very often. Most pigs won't eat chives or green onion tops.

kimgrif

Cavy Slave
I've searched and searched and cannot find this answer definitively. Can guinea pigs have fresh sage leaves? I just happen to have some but won't give it to the girls unless I know without a doubt that it is safe!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Yes but only fresh sage and limit it to a couple leaves per feeding a couple times per week.

kimgrif

Cavy Slave
Thank you, Ly!

Cavy_Luvr

Cavy Slave
You have on your list blackberry leaves and raspberry leaves, but are the berries ok?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.