Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Do the patterns matter?

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
This might seem like a silly question, but I'm making cage liners and I let my daughter pick out the fleece. She chose the following 2 patterns, and I'm good with the pawprint one, but I'm a little concerned that the pink zebra print is going to be a bit much for the piggies. Do they seem to react differently to different colors/patterns negatively or positively? I don't want to freak them out, LOL!

davidtextiles-2.jpg
dt-9288-9a-2.jpg

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I don't think it would, but I've never thought of that.
When I was using fleece, I had some interesting patterns (one was cheetah) and I had some plan colours. I never noticed them acting any differently when they were on the patterned fleece. I think it gives them something interesting to look at.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a set of neon pink and yellow tie dye fleece. When I put it in their cage the first time, they were afraid to step on it. They stayed in their kitchen area and slowly tried to step on it. Guinea pigs see in color. Once they got used to it, they weren't fazed by it.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
How much color do guinea pigs actually see?

pinky

Cavy Slave
How much color do guinea pigs actually see?

I have no idea how much they see but from what I've read, they can differentiate primary colors. I can tell that mine react to colors and strong patterns. They were very interested in the white and black Chicago White Sox fleece I have.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
My first sets of fleece were in subdued colors & grays, and I noticed a big difference when I changed to pastels & turquoise where the pigs became more active & happy connected to the weekly full cage change.

I'd say both patterns are nice, but the black stripes could look dirtier faster. With hay, hair & occasional sludge stains. I stay completely clear of black now for this reason. Also, anti-pill polar fleece is by far the best & long lasting kind.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use multiple fleece pads and usually try and have one piece of solid black or blue in their cage so I can monitor for sludge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.