Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Separate fleece for kitchen vs rest of cage?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
We have a 3X4 and currently are using a recycled paper bedding. Our dryer pooped out on us a few weeks ago. While we've been able to replace our dryer last week, with 5 people in the house I'm still playing catch up on human laundry let alone trying to add piggie laundry in there too. Once I'm done and have time I want to make a fleece bottom liner for our cage. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on if I should make a separate liner for the "kitchen" area where my girls seem to be the messiest, or just have one solid liner. My thoughts were if I had two then if the kitchen area needed to be changed out more often because of being urinated on or water bottle dripping or whatever, I could do that without a full change out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since we've never used fleece before.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think it would be better if you keep using the recycled paper in the kitchen area and switch to fleece for the rest of the cage. Hay can be very hard to remove from fleece. If you are lucky, your pigs might choose to use the kitchen area as their litter box since they are more familiar with the paper bedding. You can clean out the kitchen more often than the other areas.

Edit to add:
You can try to use a separate piece of fleece and change the kitchen daily. I've tried that but got tired of brushing hay off fleece so I've been using wood pellets in the kitchen.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I originally had carefresh in the kitchen and bits got dragged all over the cage. Then I switched to fleece in the second level which worked well. I just took it outside and shook it out. The second level was never a big hit for my pigs and they spent a large amount of time under it so I took it out. I have all fleece in my cages now. I have fleece pads that slightly overlap. I can take one out at a time to shake out or replace while the guinea pigs stay in the cage on the other fleece pads. I have hay bins they eat out of. Hay gets on the fleece but I shake it out and brush off the remainder before I launder it. I have three cages and it's very manageable for me.

Rosemary

Cavy Slave
I made separate pads for their kitchen area. I made them fleece on both sides and 2 layers of u-haul pads in between. They pee and poop the most in that area so we are able to just lift it out and dump it and brush off the hay and return it to its place. After a couple of days we flipped it over to the other side, then a couple of more days and I took it out and replaced it with a new, clean pad and threw that one in the wash. That seems to be working well for us.

Buttercup drinking web.jpg

Since this picture was taken I also sewed a cover for the kitchen box out of fleece doesn't have any pads underneath and then set the kitchen pad on top because one of the piggies was chewing on the exposed coroplast. [stinker]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.