Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay KMS Hayloft, how much?

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs and they have been on store bought hay since day 1.
I am hopefully, most likely, going to start ordering hay from KMS! Im so excited and i know they will also be excited!
Since i only have 2 pigs, i dont want to buy a 45 lb bag, because it lasts about 9 months and partially because the shipping price wont work for me ( i raise all my money from babysitting). I want the hay to last me a few months though. Which pound bag do you suggest i get? 15 lb? Or 10 lb?
My price range is $30 for s&h included, which is about $20 for the 15 lb.
I just want to know what quantity is good for about 3 months and for 2 pigs.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Since you're paying shipping no matter what amount you order, I'd go with the larger amount because the hay won't go bad and you'll need to order it less often and will save money in the long run.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
The more you buy at once is going to give you the best bang for your buck. I buy 45 lbs for 3 pigs and it lasts about 6 months.

If you have any local feed stores you may be able to get a bale for super cheap. Hay where I am located isn't very high quality and I can't store that much. Being on a tight budget you might be able to do that much easier.

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks :)
i might have to convince my mom to help me pay shipping, its just sooo expensive.
I think im going to get a 45 lb of 3rd cut timothy and a 5lb of bluegrass to give them some variaty..
I cant buy from local feed stores (my mom wont let me for some reason), and i cant store bales. KMS is a good option plus ive heard amazing things about the hay too!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I really recommend the bluegrass. Just got some a few weeks ago and its amazing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
allmypiggies, any hay you find in Texas that's fit for guinea pigs has been grown somewhere else and shipped/trucked in. So you wouldn't find anything at a local feed store that your pigs could eat anyway. The only way you might get it cheaper would be to find a horse farm nearby that buys grass hay in large quantities, and ask if they'd sell you a partial bale.

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
Yes, i cant go to feed stores anyway. I can afford to buy a 45 lb thing from kms but it might take me a bit longer to be able to get it :)
and bpatters, thanks for editing my post up there, appreciate it!

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
OK! So i can afford to get the 25 lb from kms!
Its actually around $30 total so yay!
Ordering it on monday! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.