Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Natural Nail and Teeth Trimmer

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I believe that nature always have its own way to treat animals (i believe wild guinea pig don't have their nails and teeth trimmed).

I recognize that cat usually trim their nails by scratching them on woods. Is it also work for guinea pig? What if i put wood in their cage? Will their scratch their nails onto it? Or is it only rock that can trim their nails? I've read one thread in here that someone use brick, but it looks like brick don't help a lot with trimming things.
And about teeth trim, can i use wood instead go to the doctor and ask to trim my piggies?

And what happened to wild guinea pigs? How they trim their nails and teeth naturally?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
They need hay to keep their teeth trimmed down, not wood.

And they also aren't going to scratch their nails on wood like a cat does. Bricks don't do much in the way of keeping pig nails trimmed down either. The best thing is going to be regular nail trimmings.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can't honestly compare wild pigs with their domesticated counterparts. They are different.

Wood will not work for tooth trimmings. Unlimited grass hay is what is needed for a guinea's molars and the front teeth normally just wear down through eating unless there is a problem with the teeth.

Bricks are more to help with water bottle leakage than wearing down nails. You stil need to trim nails at least once a month. Wood isn't going to help with nails either as cats will use wood or a scratching post where pigs do not.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Wild ones do not live as long as our domesticated ones for good reason.

You can't compare the two. Wild ones forage and are running constantly on rough land. If they get sick from URI or such, they are not going to make it but yours will if you provide medical care.

Wood is not going to do anything for their molars which are usually the problem.

Grandmar Cavy

Cavy Slave
You do have to trim their nails, I have one piggy who never had her nails trimmed until I got her at 12 months of age and her toe nail grow in a circler Shape which can be hard for her to walk if I don't keep them trimmed. So please trim their nails so they don't have troubles. Also if you keep a constant supply of grassy hay for them their teeth are usually fine and don't need trimming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.