Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rapunzle aka: Punzie

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
2 years ago my Mother was working at a school 2 hours away from the city and she noticed that a fellow teacher had a long haired guinea pig living in a glass fish tank with a running wheel, and a bowl of food and water. She also noticed the tangles and balls of shavings/poop/pee that were attatched to her bottom. Her nails were curled all the way around her feet and she was having trouble walking.

So she asked if the teacher was willing to give up the guinea pig. Her college was relieved since she had NO time to care for this guinea pig since she was teaching special needs children and she was close to 50 years of age herself.

So that night my Mom brought home Rapunzle, a long haired White and tan female guinea pig. She was 6 years old and sugar was around 1 year old. Sugar was...a pain in the butt. She would nibble Rapunzle's hair and push her out of the way for their hay and food. Rapunzle would always nip her nose and Sugar would go about her business like nothing happened. For the next month I would wake up at every sound I heard in their cage. I wasn't sure about the sex of either of these guinea pigs and I had determined they were females on the internet. I was still paranoid that one would be male so I would jump out of bed and check to see what they were doing. Punzie would mount sugar regularily as a sign of dominance and Sugar would munch of Punzie's hair. It was a never ending circle. Once I realized this was dominant behavior and they were indeed females, I could finally rest easy.

Punzie was very loving towards my Mom, she would cuddle and sleep around my Mom's neck but she always bit me and chattered her teeth at me. I tried my hardest to develop a relationship with her but her years of being roughly handled by children had scarred her against being picked up or touched.

2 months ago Punzie passed away at the age of 8. She showed no signs of weight loss, decreased appetite or movement. She used to love sleeping in the middle of the cage. This is where she passed. I found her lying down in the middle of the cage, eyes closed, no longer alive. Because of her peacefull passing, I was not as upset as I would have been if she had died of complications.

I decided to post a thread after I found some pictures of Sugar (my current guinea pig, now about 2-3 years old) and Punzie outside in the summer.

RIP Punzie!

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm sorry for your loss... She was just adorable.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.