Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

potty training

steph

Cavy Slave
I am curious to know what sort of success all of you have had potty training your pigs. I have read mixed stories in various books. Should I go out and buy a litter box? I notice our pigs rarely eliminate on us when we are holding them....almost as if they wait until we put them down to do so.

Thanks in advance.

steph.

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Hmm...I'm not sure about the litterbox. In my observation, during their floortime, they would pee and/or poop on a certain place if its similar to them and usually on a corner.

When I held my pigs, they would stay still. But when they starts to move around, I know they want to pee. I've been peed so many times before I figured this out.

beachbunny

Cavy Slave
I a new here, but have had alot of experience since a child with small animals,

So if you are holding them and they get ansy, I start having visions of that commercial "gotta go gotta go gotta go right now", so put them in the litter area you want them to go in or the cage, where ever.

Not saying that will be big help on training, but I have only my second piggy in my life and my first was never potty trained and this one is still a baby so I dont know if you can really get a piggy trained. My rabbit on the other hand, all actually have been trained to atleast go back to the cage to pee.
You should see my 4 year old chasin dropping all over with her little hand held broom and dust pan, she does most that cleaning up!

ibrakeforbugs

Cavy Slave
I know this post is old, but I have a cavy who uses a litterbox. I had read that you can't potty train a cavy, so I never tried, but I had a litterbox in the cage that I used for hay. One day Chewy started using it for it's commercially intended use, so I filled it with carefresh and started using a rack for the hay. She's been using the litterbox for about a month now, regardless of where it's placed in the cage. She's also very good about not peeing on people, she just gets extremely squirmy when she has to go.

Wildjem

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info on squirming pigs. I have been peed on 2x and I probably never would have put 2 and 2 together. Duh!

pennick

Cavy Slave
It's a real pain trying to capture your piggy for lap time and then 5 minutes later she has to go pee. So much for lap time.

ibrakeforbugs

Cavy Slave
If it's too difficult to return your pig to her cage and recapture her every time she has to pee, you could try putting some carefresh in a litterbox or plastic container/bin or something, and setting her in it when she starts getting squirmy. Who knows, if she gets the hang of it she might even keep using it if it fits in (and is suitable for) the cage.

I have an open cage, and Chewy generally comes right up to me, so returning her for pee breaks is no problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.