Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Patch of Hair Balding

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I have noticed that my guinea pig is losing hair on the back end of his body (on the top side, but near the butt). He still has hair in this area, but it is just very thin. I noticed it a month or so ago, but I didn't think much about it. Today I noticed some flakes on his hairs in the area. I went to grab at the hairs with dandruff and those hairs just came off his body with an easy tug.

Does he have a problem, or is this normal? Any help would help. Thanks.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
That sounds an awful lot like mange mites. Please read this: https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
And get your pig to a cavy-savvy vet asap.

One of my guinea pigs has a recurring bacterial infection on his hind end, because he can't quite clean back there very efficiently. Either way, your pig needs to see a vet, as hair loss is almost always a sign of illness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.