Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Cedar bedding!

Wilburlovin

Cavy Slave
Something that many guinea pig owners do not know about is how you CANNOT use cedar bedding with a guinea pig. It causes upper respiratory infections and even instant death.

Someone I know had to quickly clean the cage and used cedar, and it killed all 3 of her pigs almost instantly.

Please spread the word about this bad stuff!!

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
That's sad, and it's even sadder that it's marketed for Piggies. I use Pine myself.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Thumper, as long as the pine you are using is "kiln-dried", it should be okay. If not, pine is 2nd after cedar for causing problems for gpigs.

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
I have found fleece bedding and am loving that! Before that I used only Aspen bedding.

The daycare my pig was at used cedar once, and within a few hours Rose's eyes were running and she was just not herself. I had nothing else to do but take her cage outside until I could go get some aspen and rechange her cage. The immense fresh air seemed to help some, but gosh.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
So glad my sister(vacation caretaker of piggies) is highly alergic to wood chips of any kind! I got rid of all the shavings that came with my guys! Thanks for the info!

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
It is kilm dried, and I also try to use Aspen. It's harder to find for some reason. Haven't used Fleace, not for real sure how if I'm honest about it. lol

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I love my fleece! It's so easy and wicks away the pee so your piggie stays dry. The poop is easy to sweep up with a little brush and dust pan. I'm making fleece & mattress pad squares for the corners and kitchen(thats where they tend to pee). Then all I have to do is pull them out and put another one down without changing the whole cage out!
It is kilm dried, and I also try to use Aspen. It's harder to find for some reason. Haven't used Fleace, not for real sure how if I'm honest about it. lol

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
Hmm, that actually sounds pretty awesome. Does the type of fleece matter? Because while my boys are on floor time I put a fleece blanket under them and they don't chew on it or anything, but they do on a towel. Go figure lol

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Prep of the fleece is the most important thing. Check out "The Fleece Project" here on the site to learn about preparing the fleece. if it's not done properly, it won't wick the moisture away. And make sure there is an absorbant layer underneath like bath towels or puppy pads.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Yeah for some reason they don't like to chew on fleece, could be due to it being a synthetic material? Whatever the reason I'm happy they won't chew it!
Hmm, that actually sounds pretty awesome. Does the type of fleece matter? Because while my boys are on floor time I put a fleece blanket under them and they don't chew on it or anything, but they do on a towel. Go figure lol

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
Awesome, I'll do some looking for when I get a bigger c&c cage. I need to do that as soon as possible. But it might be a bit slower going then I thought *sigh*

Yeah it's kinda awesome actually, They love it for run time, and it's easy clean up then...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.