Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lucy was attacked again

blackrose

Cavy Slave
Dameon broke out of his cage and attacked Lucy again. My dad was outside playing with a telescope and he heard Lucy squealing through the opened window.

It is bad this time. Lucy's whole right face is chewed up. Not bad enough to merit stitches, but bad enough to have been covered in blood when I finally got Dameon off of her. I think she is now blind in her right eye as it is very cloudy and she wasn't blinking or tracking with it. Her right ear also has some damage to it on the inside. I suppose that I should be thankful that ferrets just latch on like a bulldog and they don't tear at the skin like a terrier would. Instead of a mutilated face she just has a punctured face.

We cleaned the wounds and applied pressure to get the bleeding to stop. I seperated Lucy and Dot with Lucy being in the small cage on a towel. She has a house to hide in, a little bit of hay, a little bit of food, and a little bit veggies. Her water bottle is low enough that she won't need to "stand up" to reach it.

If she is still bad tomorrow morning I'm taking her into the vet. She nibbled slightly on some lettuce and a carrot, but that was it.

I don't know what else to do for her. Is there any pain medication I can give her? I checked out the Guinea Lynx website and saw some medications there, but wasn't sure if that was all. We don't have any liquid advil, so that isn't an option. We did have some Children's Tylenol but a quick google search said that it was toxic to dogs and cats, so I assumed it wouldn't be good to give to a piggy either.
What other signs should I be looking for to make sure she doesn't get worse on me? What are some good signs? How can I get her to leave the wounds alone? She keeps trying to rub her face against everything and that isn't a good thing as she'll reopen the wounds. How long should I keep her seperate from Dot?

I feel absolutely horrible right now. My heart is breaking and I almost lost it when I was holding her trying to get the bleeding to stop and she was just sitting there whimpering. She may be a rodent, but she's MY rodent. My little Lucy Fir. My fat piggy. She just needs to get better.
:(

Just keep Lucy in your prayers.

bunnys n pigs

Cavy Slave
Alright, well first off - NEVER give medicine to an animal that wasn't prescribed by a vet or approved by a vet. Especially If the medicine wasn't intended for the animal you're trying to heal. As for the fight, I've been in the same situation. My female and her kit (they are rabbits) brutally attacked each other while I was at my grandmothers for the day. I came home to find the kit nearly passed out and gasping, caused by a "V" shaped gash that ran directly above his left eye, and curved to continue on to his forehead. Though it wasn't apparent at first, we discovered at the emergency animal hospital that he required 7 stitches and soon after it was clear that things were much worse than expected. Recovery consisted of being housed in separate cages (to this day) and kept warm, soft, and in a quiet environment (along with prescribed pain meds). Don't take the chance by assuming he's OK, because it could cost him his life. The rabbit who was attack is now perfectly fine (but kept in a separate area) except for a scar and some loss of sight in his left eye. He could have died without emergency care, and your pet could also be in the same situation.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
The guinea pig should have been rushed to a vet immediately. This is not something you can "wait and see". I suggest getting the animal to an emergency vet immediately.

If you won't do that for the poor creature then at the VERY least get up early and take the animal to a vet first thing in the morning--if she makes it that long. The poor thing sounds like she has some severe and painful visible wounds but she may also have internal injuries and be in shock. Either of those could kill her.

DO NOT give Lucy any medications you may have in the house.

You also need to put a reliable lock on the ferret cage. I love ferrets but your ferret has proven itself to have a high prey drive. It now knows that the guinea pigs are around and it will not stop attacking them until they are dead. It will not forget. It will keep trying to break out of it's cage. It will not "get over it".

bunnys n pigs

Cavy Slave
Also note that cleansing may not be enough, in the event that the wound could be easily reopened and infected. No second thoughts, you need to see a vet as soon as possible to ensure the well being and even life of your pet.
If your pet is genuinely injured as bad as he sounds, he won't be interested in much anything, including food. It's best to keep him as calm and relaxed as possible, to ensure he gets rest and time to heal. Don't bother to pick him up much at all (unless taking him to a vet) because it only complicates things for him and yourself, and it overall isn't necessary. Though you shouldn't move him about, continually check on him and note if his state worsens.

blackrose

Cavy Slave
I'm calling the vet this morning...

You also need to put a reliable lock on the ferret cage.
Yep yep. My sister had gotten one of the ferrets out that day through a side door and didn't latch it when she was done. I never use the side doors so I didn't even think to check it when I put the ferrets up for the night.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Have you taken the pig to the vet? Is it still alive?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Don't call just go! Tell the receptionist what happened and they will likely see you as an emergency.

shypaw

Cavy Slave
I don't want to sound mean, because I do understand this was not entirely your fault, but this is extremely disturbing for me to read.

Please please please move either the pigs or the ferret to the complete opposite sides of your home. This is way too much stress for those poor little pigs. They have no defenses and rely on you for protection!

I'm sorry this has happened to you, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's not the first time this happened. The first time was a learning experience, but this is now cruelty in my opinion. Please think of the pigs needs first, and do what is best for them. If that means finding them a safe home outside yours, then please consider it.

blackrose

Cavy Slave
I took Lucy to the exotic vet we have in town.

She is staying overnight so they can monitor her condition. They gave her some pain killers and they are going to examine the bites to her ear with greater scruitney. They are also going to remove her eye.
They are going to call me tomorrow to let me know how she is doing and what else needs to be done.

I'll keep you updated.

ETA: I would have taken her to an e-vet last night, but my parents wouldn't let me. My dad didn't feel it was necessary. I went today without their blessing. I called my mom and gave her the run down and she said that since it was my money I could do what I wanted. She told me just to not tell dad as he'd flip if he knew I spent $110 dollars on a Guinea Pig per vet care.

blackrose

Cavy Slave
Also thought I'd say this:
The pigs' cage is secure, but when they are out for their floor time they aren't. I'm not going to get rid of my ferrets or my pigs, but I am going to tighten security, so to speak. The pigs won't have floor time unless I am in the room with them. I am locking all ferret cage doors except for the two main ones. Ferrets will be either out of the room or locked up when the pigs are out.

I thought I had stepped up security from the last time this happened, but obviously not enough. I'm going to take some advice from my coach....you are allowed one mistake to learn and one mistake after you learn to break the habit. After that, it isn't a mistake any more, it is intentional.
If this comes close to ever happening again, I will think about rehoming the pigs. Until that time, however, I don't feel I've exhausted all options.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Please, please do everything that you have to do to keep Lucy safe.

She's a defense-less little prey animal. You are totally responsible for her health, safety, and well-being.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
If this comes close to ever happening again, I will think about rehoming the pigs.

You'll think about it? If this ever happens again your pig will probably be dead. Please do not take this situation lightly. Your pigs are completely dependent on you to keep them safe. You need to have a talk with your sister as well, since she obviously handles to the ferrets. It will do you no good to take the security situation more seriously if your sister and the rest of your family isn't following your lead.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I'm going to take some advice from my coach....you are allowed one mistake to learn and one mistake after you learn to break the habit. After that, it isn't a mistake any more, it is intentional. If this comes close to ever happening again, I will think about rehoming the pigs.
That's great advice for the field, arena, whatever. The problem with that is...this is not a game. We are talking about a life. A life that feels severe pain, fear, and suffering.

If it "comes close to ever happening again", it may be too late to rehome.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
That's great advice for the field, arena, whatever. The problem with that is...this is not a game. We are talking about a life. A life that feels severe pain, fear, and suffering.

If it "comes close to ever happening again", it may be too late to rehome.

Isn't this, in fact, the second time Lucy has been attacked?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you did the right thing and got her to a vet. I hope she comes through this well.

The last time I had ferrets and prey animals in the same house I installed a screen door on the "prey animal" room along with a spring to hold it closed. I reinforced the bottom with Hardware cloth so the ferrets couldn't rip or chew their way through. The ferrets were mostly allowed free roam of the house and were rarely caged so to insure the other animal's safety I put up a screen door. It automatically shut after me, allowed air flow, light and noise through but it was enough to keep the ferrets away from the critters and it also insured that any prey critter that escaped it's cage couldn't get to where the ferrets were.

I doubt your parents would allow this sort of thing but it may be worth asking about.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Isn't this, in fact, the second time Lucy has been attacked?
Yes it is. I agree with VoodooJoint:

You also need to put a reliable lock on the ferret cage. I love ferrets but your ferret has proven itself to have a high prey drive. It now knows that the guinea pigs are around and it will not stop attacking them until they are dead. It will not forget. It will keep trying to break out of it's cage. It will not "get over it".
That sounds like an extremely serious, deadly situation for that poor piggy.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm going to take some advice from my coach....you are allowed one mistake to learn and one mistake after you learn to break the habit. After that, it isn't a mistake any more, it is intentional.
If this comes close to ever happening again, I will think about rehoming the pigs. Until that time, however, I don't feel I've exhausted all options.

Having animals in your home obligates you to keep them safe, which it seems you have been unable to do for poor Lucy. The mistakes your coach advised you you are allowed are yours – and in many cases I would agree, but in this case, the one suffering the consequences of those mistakes is a defenseless little animal.

Your poor pig has been attacked twice now, has lost an eye, for Heaven's sake – can Lucy really afford to wait while you “exhaust” all your options?

If you can't find an absolutely fool-proof way to keep the animals separated, maybe it's in the best interest of the pig(s) in your care that they be re-homed.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
I read this thread and am just so horrified. It was hard enough to read, let alone to find out this has happened more than once.

I belong to a rescue group that helps find small animals homes in the NW. I'll never forget a story one of the members told about going to tend to the bunnies in their shelter, and hearing a bunny screaming at the other rescue shelter that was next door. Her and another gal ran over to find a Mink had found a way in and was killing the bunnies one by one. They got the Mink in time to stop him from eating the bunnies eyes, while she laid there helplessly screaming. If you've ever heard a bunny scream, it's the most horrible sound in the world. I have no doubt a piggie scream is just as heartbreaking. The shelter lost 3 bunnies that day, but it could have been more, had these two gals got there in time (by the way, that particular rescue decided to shut down as they obviously didn't have a safe environment for the bunnies). Both are STILL haunted by the experience...and I can only imagine what poor little Lucy has gone through. Not once, but TWICE.

I honestly can't add anything more than all of you have in the way of advice, other than to say:

Blackrose, Lucy relies on you for her food, care and well being. Regardless of how this horrible attack happened, and I don't mean to sound rude or incensitive, but it IS your FULL responsibility that Lucy is safe. Regardless of who's fault it was the ferret got out, it was yours to make sure Lucy is in a safe play environment.

I'm afraid I have to whole heartedly agree with Paula. Next time will probably be too late. Maybe the kindest thing to do for your piggies, is find them a new home.

Please, please take the advice that many hear have given you....for Lucy's sake.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I agree, this is terribly upsetting. You've already had one close call and that was not enough to take even more precaution against this happening again. The thought of your poor pig sitting overnight in agony because your father didn't think that being savaged by a ferret warranted a trip to the vet is just appalling. It made me go and hug my pigs.

Some serious changes definitely need to be made.

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry that Lucy was attacked. Not once, but twice. I'm so sorry that she has to go through that again. I must say that you did the right thing by saving YOUR OWN money up for a emergency. And although you couldnt take her right that night*(because you are a minor and you have to listen to your parents, because their house thier rules), You still took her the next morning bright and early. So kudos for having your own fund and taking the bull by the horns and getting her somewhere. Now, I hate to be the person to jump on the band wagon becuase usually Im the one who never agrees with anyone. But really, Two times Is so to many. Im a very young mother ( 25) and I would never allow my children to keep a small animal or any animal in my house that was attacked by another. It would be very easy for the choice I as a parent or Me as a kid (when I was one) would make. Either the ferret/s go to a nice new home approved of by you personally, or the piggie/s get rehomed to somewhere safe. I know that you may be sitting there making faces and taking all of this the wrong way because it seems like we are ganging up on you(I do that sometimes ..lol), But we are not, honestly. You joined this group to learn about piggies and how to better their lives. Also to share stories, opinions and make friends. So there is so many people saying once is to much and twice shouldnt happen. I know it stinks but really can you move the ferret to another part of the house? My friend has one, and I know they are little escape artists and quite clever. So please make that ferret cage like fort knox and try the pigs in your bedroom or something? I personally wont allow my pigs floor time unless Im with them. But Im a stay at home mom and I know how hard it is for people who have a life and/or work. But I was relieved to read that you wont allow any more floor time without you right there. Please dont quit the group becuase you are bumming out about the whole thing. Just really examine how hurt you are by Lucy loosing a eye and being in such terriable pain, and that you shouldnt and will not allow anything to hurt theese defensless little cuties again. I hope I made sense.?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.