Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog My guinea pig journey... its been a long road continued.........

Blog entry from old forum

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
Then on April 5, 2013- Kovu passed away- Unknown causes-
I had gone down to my old home town which was 2 hours away, and when we got home my boyfriends mom said she gave the pigs some carrots and what not. I saw Kovu acting weird, he was laying down under the loft (which was now Dexter's cage) making weird growing sounds....i thought he would get better, so i watched him for a few minutes to see if it was just a irritated sound that guinea pigs make.. it wasn't. By the time i got home it was after 7pm and no vets were open or would take emergencies. As the new town has limited exotic pet vets at that time. So i took him out of the cage and put him in a small area ans stayed with him all night. he wouldn't eat or drink even with force... i was so upset and i tried everything, it was up with him all night still trying until 9:00am i fell asleep from being up 24hours, when i woke up at 10am he was gone i was so upset with myself, i thought that me falling asleep killed him.... it was so hard for me (crying now) But it was to late, he was eating and drinking normally the day before and before i left the house... we still don't know what happened as i am against necropolises. As i feel that its damaging my pigs body... I took him that day to a local pet crematorium as we rent our house and i didn't feel comfortable barring him then leaving his body there. I was so upset and it was hard loosing him as he was the pig that started my love for guinea pigs. It was hard but i pulled through.. Then...

On May 26, 2013 i rescued Bear- Himalayan/ Dalmatian guinea pig- Named after little kids show Little Bear- His original name is Little Bear- No longer little
I was not looking to adopt a guinea pig, but i was looking for guinea pig supplies and things on craigslist, and i ended up finding his post.. it was awhile before Kovu passed. I saw his post and i thought he was so unique and pretty, and the lady wanted him gone, his post was still there a month after Kovu died so i decided to rescue him. The reason the previous owner wanted him gone was because they had a female pig and wanted him to go.. but i suspect she was a breeder or didn't know the female was pregnant... but these were my suspicions after getting to her house. But anyway, Bear was absolutely untouchable no human interact at all, he hated movement and sounds he wouldn't come out until dark and would bolt back to his house and wait for you to leave... But i held him and petted him and laid with him and he still isn't one hundred percent. He was always alone due to his aggressive temperament and he is happier alone though curious of pigs through bars. I let him play with the trio a lot and Dexter and that made him more comfortable with people if you did not move a muscle. I spent this time bonding with him and he grew so much like so fast and he was small when we got him. ( I have recently gotten confirmation from cuy expert and she says that he is half cuy).... Then

Then on November 12, 2013 - Rhino passed away- malocclusion- back teeth and front- due to inbreeding or genetics-
I had came home from college early and i found him stumbling about his cage unable to stand and was walking crazy i called my vet to get him in but they couldn't i called others and they wouldn't accept new clients even with an emergency. I was gutted. This was one of the hardest passing's that i have gone through, as i should have saw the signs, i had been feeding him critical care a few months back and a few weeks before for a eye injury and a cold...But i think that the cold was his teeth as i read up on the teeth disease after his passing. We finally got an appointment scheduled for the next day, but i knew that it was gonna be to late... I laid him on my bed with Rudy as my boyfriend left to a midterm... he was getting cold and not matter how much i tried with a heating pad he wouldn't warm up, i tried giving him water and critical care but nothing helped... Then Rudy whom is a reserved pig and not very people affectionate, turned towards me and licked my hand then licked Rhinos ear, at that moment Rhino took his last breath and i balled... I put Rudy back in his cage and i called my boyfriend.. he came home and we cried together.. then we called the local pet crematory and took him there... I blame myself to this day, and i know that i could have done something if i saw the signs earlier, i am so upset thinking about it now as i have so much more knowledge... I have a feeling many of you will comment some negative things, but i have accepted this and its still hard... but you can do what you will... After Rhino passes Rudy became deeply depressed, he wouldn't eat or anything unless i gave it to him or moved it closer to his house. he slept in Rhinos spot and he ran around the cage endlessly. Rhino and Rudy were so close, inseparable always together eating drinking, my favorite memory of Rhino is the way he tossed his toilet paper tube he was so cute, and i am glad i gave it on video to remember my little baby Rhino...(crying now so hard).....Then...

On December 12, 2013- I got Shiloh- Named after Shiloh's bridge the movie- Cream and agouti, American On the anniversary of the day i got Kovu
I went to Petco to get bedding and pellets and they had there usual xmas baby pigs out, my boyfriends mom saw him and really wanted him as we never had a baby pig before, i saw a black guinea pig alone in the tank back in the guinea pig section, but thought nothing of it ( saw him for months before that as well) we came back the next day and got him and put him with Rudy as he was still not himself and we had no luck bonding him with Bear or Dexter or Reese, so i decided that this guinea pig was for Rudy not me as i wasn't sure if i wanted him ......They hit it off and he was little and i feed him everyday multiple times a day of critical care to help him gain weight, he was sweet and loved Rudy and popcorned with him and slept with him.... then ON December 30, 2013 I heard a sound while i was watching tv and i saw Shiloh fumble and pass on....... i was mortified!!!! I feed him every two hours and he was drinking on his own.. i called Petco and they said that they had gotten the "lot" from a breeder 3 hours away, and he was the smallest, i talked to the guinea pig "lady" and she told me that she thought that he was the runt and was weaned to soon, but he was eating.. they refunded me, though i never asked for it. So Shiloh was weaned to soon and no matter what i did he didn't make it, i was so upset my boyfriend broke down.... i have never seen him do this before he mostly had tears and helped me through the losses... I felt more pain for Rudy, he lost his brother and Kovu and i felt so bad for him...I love him and it hurt me to think that he was alone again.... Then...

On January 1, 2014 i got Shadow- Off of the movie Turbo where the snail says "white shadow" as shadow has a white patch on his side - Black with a bit of white on side white/gray stomach- American/ Mix
I know what your all thinking, how soon how could you well let me tell you..... I went back to petco to let Petco know and get my "refund" and i went over while my boyfriends mom talked to the employee, and i saw that black pig still there after 4 months i leaned my head up to the glass and i saw his coloring it was like Kovu but gray i smiled and he snuck out of his house not looking away from me and snatched a pepper... While looking into his eyes i had this feeling and it made me feel as if we connected, i saw him many times before thought he was all black as he hid all he time... and i went back home and talked to my boyfriend and his mom and i said i have to get him, i told them about the connection and we got in the car and went to get him that same day (petco is a walk away from new home) I thought about it and i new that i had to get him, the employee that checked me out and got him out of the tank said this to me ( Good, finally he is leaving, take him thank god he is gone) I was so sad and i knew that taking him was the right thing to do. You all can judge me all you want, but i love my pigs and i do not make emotional decision about them, like "oh i have to replace the one i lost" But Shadow reminded me of Kovu and when he looked into my eyes i knew i had to get him and i feel that i saved him.. Shadow is a character, he licks you like a dog no stop and runs laps all the time, he loves to climb and he is a funny pig. His personality if i had to describe him in a form of another animal it would be a chinchilla/ squirrel/ dog. I love him to death and he is a funny guy.........Then...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.