Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Pet Stores... My Personal Experience.

Blog entry from old forum

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
One Day, about two years ago, something I was totally unprepared for happened...
I went to the store to pick out my hamster. My old hammy, pumpkin, had just died (rest in peace my chubby boy D: ) and I was going to get a new one from Jack's Pets.
So I picked out my gray and white female, Hammy, and took her home. Little did I know, less than two weeks later, something would happen that would blow my mind.
Two weeks later I went to go change Hammy's water and food. I put her in her little hamster ball and let her run around. I reached for the bowl, and suddenly I saw movement in the bedding. I picked up her house, and what did I see? Nine baby hamsters!
I ran to my mom's room screaming, "MOM! HAMMY HAD BABIES! HAMMY HAD BABIES!" And we ended up taking care of them until they were old enough to be sold. :)

And that was my Pet Store experience-getting a pregnant hamster unknowingly. Sadly, Hammy died a year later from Cancer. That is why you should not get guinea pigs from pet stores.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
OMG things did not happen that well for me. My sister's hamster had 13 babies and ATE all of them!!!! :( You are lucky she took care of them.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
@PeanutnCookie, I was constantly watching out for that. But no, she was very protective and loving of her babies, and I felt horrible when we gave them to the Pet Shop. :( I still do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.