Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog To learn the hard way

Blog entry from old forum

theresaj

Cavy Slave
January 25th I lost my little piglet Dino. I had no idea it was going to happen, he was just a little guy but he just died for no reason I could see. He ate, was lively and chipper as ever. I was nervous however cause on Christmas day when I got him my cousin told me the shop he came from housed him with rabbits, I immediately thought, oh no. But then just thought, keep an eye on him and go from there.

Nothing seemed wrong with him at all though, so things seemed good till the Sunday we got back from church, and I went out to feed them and change their bottles. One look at the little Himi boy was all it took for me to realize he was gone. I didn't know how long Frankie had been wheeking, and he was wheeking really distraughtly. Poor thing. I felt like the most horrible piggie owner ever.

Long story short, I knew then that adopting from a rescue is so much better a choice. Even if a rescue is out of town from you or whatever. It will be so much more worth it, more worth it to me than what happened. All I wanted was for Frankie to have a little brother so he wouldn't be lonely.

Things didn't go as I had hoped though and I think Frankie is adjusting but he did miss little Dino. Frankie was really fatherly to him,whenever I came out Dino would scurry over to Frankie and Frankie would let little Dino snuggle up to him. It was the sweetest thing ever. I blamed myself and felt like such a let down to Frankie.

I was glad however to see a couple new members who had adopted and researched right off the bat. I hope more people get educated and adopt, so they don't have to go through what I went through, I just wanted Frankie to be happy but I felt like I let him down in the end for not adopting him a little brother instead.

I just don't want others to go through what I did, and see the hard way that adopting is the much better choice.

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
I understand what you are going through. I rescued a male piggy named Hamilton. He was an older piggy, and when I brought him home, I noticed he was severely impacted. I called my vet and he suggested some things I could do for him to hopefully help, but he explained that it was probably too late.
I did everything I could do to help him, but my vet was right. Since I had no way of knowing how long he was like this, my vet said that all I could really do was to make him as comfortable as possible at this point.
He was such a sweetheart! He loved to be held and cuddled, and he got along with my granddaughter. They bonded immediately.
We all miss him so much, and I hope that anyone else that is new to owning piggies watches the older males very closely for this.
I just know that when he died, I was holding him and loving him and he passed away quietly in my arms. He knew that we loved him even though we only had him for about a week or so. He is now in Heaven with my mom. She is an animal lover, so I know that she is taking care of him.

CavyLoveRocks

Cavy Slave
Aaawww thats a sad story. Im so sorry. I have 3 new piggies from a petstore because we had waited over a year for the rescue senter to get baby cavys. But now i feel bad! Hey could u tell me how to accsess a chat room with other people in?

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
CavyLoveRocks;bt311 said:
Aaawww thats a sad story. Im so sorry. I have 3 new piggies from a petstore because we had waited over a year for the rescue senter to get baby cavys. But now i feel bad! Hey could u tell me how to accsess a chat room with other people in?

I haven't accessed any chat rooms here, so I don't know how to do it or where to go.
Maybe if you look around the site there should be somewhere for chat. I am still really new here. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Pennylou

Cavy Slave
I understand your pain, but with a different animal. Last memorial day(08) My parakeet flew away. My other parakeet was even more huddled in the back corner of his cage then he had always been. We lost him in december.

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
Well, I have another older male boar that is really badly impacted. My friend that runs a rescue got him back, skinny, and impacted. I am feeding him and he is getting a belly on him, and maybe a little meat on his bones. And I help him potty 3-4 times a day. I am going to get mineral oil here in a little bit. I have been soaking him, and it seems to help.

I hope I can save this little one. But then, maybe I can because no one dropped him cage and all like the girl dropped Hamilton.

If anyone wants to adopt in the Indiana,Kentucky area there is a great rescue. It is called rescuedguineapigs.com. She has about 25 up for adoption. She does not ship. She is a very reputable rescue.

mrpibbz123

Cavy Slave
I have a piggie named mr. pibbz. he the cutest thing! I have had him for a month.
Although, when he sleeps, his eyes, r all white.(this is ONLY when he SLEEPS!!) Is this normal, i think he is an american guinea pig. plz help.
Thx for your help,
mrpibbz123

piggiewiggies

Cavy Slave
CavyLoveRocks;bt311 said:
Hey could u tell me how to accsess a chat room with other people in?

ya, when u first get on the site, hit forums then hit chat and it will take u to a chat room

Supermissdeedee

Cavy Slave
I lost my first piggy on accident to she was about 6 months old. I made a "bad" cage and the second floor had a opening and she slipped threw and landed on her neck. Snapping it. Thats why with my two boys i make sure that IF there is a way to escape they CAN'T go there!!! Im very sorry

misscavy

Cavy Slave
Im sooo sorry to hear that :( poor little thing :( R.I.P DINO

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
That's horrible, I'm so sorry. I got both of my piggies from breeders. I'm not sure if getting a guinea pig from a breeder or from a rescue center is better, but breeders are certainly better than pet stores. Again, so sorry.

PigAtHeart

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry it must be hard for you. Hope things get better for you.

Sincerely, PigAtHeart

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.