Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Pneumonia...How long after recovery should you wait until putting back with others?

Blog entry from old forum

JillyJo

Cavy Slave
Hello fellow guinea pig lovers

My little chap Rusty(2yrs) fell ill on Saturday 19th July and I rushed him to the vets on the Sunday. He had trouble breathing and the vet said it was pneumonia and prescribed Baytril also giving him two injections.

After finishing his seven days of Baytril he's making a good recovery and showing an interest in his veg but not eating an awful amount of his pellets. He has been drinking a little but I am still syringe feeding him with water and crushed pellets. He has started to poo again.

He is used to being in a shed with six others and living with another boy. I know it is necessary to isolate him as I also lost little Honey the previous week very quickly which sounds like it could have been the same thing.

Does anyone know please, how long it normally takes to completely recover from pneumonia, and also how long should you wait before it is safe to put back with others?

Being isolated I don't think is helping him to recover but then of course I wouldn't want to risk any of the others. I go away this Saturday 2nd August for a week when my 20yr old son will be looking after them. Which will mean he can either go back in with the others before I go away or wait another week and then put him back in. I'm just hoping that having had to split the boys they will still get on with each other. I'd also appreciate any thoughts on this.
Any help would be very much appreciated
Jill

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Hi JillyJo, if you haven't already, you should post your question in the medical forums. Not everybody reads the blogs.

I'm sorry I'm not able to answer your questions but I know you will get good advice in the medical section.

I hope your little Rusty continues to improve. I also have a pig named Rusti. However as you can see by the spelling she's a female.

JillyJo

Cavy Slave
Hi Kelsie Thanks very much for the advice. I'm new here and didn't realise I've posted in the wrong place. I'll have a look and see if I can find the correct one. All the best.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.