Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pigs not wheeking..

• Thread starter blackieNbrownie
  • Start date

blackieNbrownie

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that my cavies haven't been wheeking for almost a week now. This doesn't seem normal as they used to be loud especially when I'm bringing them food. They also seem less active lately and prefer to hide in their hideys or lie in the corner. Does anyone have a clue on this behavior? Summer's hot here in my country and its around 32 degrees celcius inside the house.

msmonih

Cavy Slave
Do u have air conditioning, if not then that could be the problem.

blackieNbrownie

Cavy Slave
I have air conditioning in my bedroom but I can't transfer the cage there since it won't fit. If the summer heat is the problem then why aren't they wheeking at night? It's actually noontime now so the temperature's around 30 degrees celcius. It's actually quite cooler outside where we have a shade and it's windy.

Beloved89

Cavy Slave
Do you have one of those giant fans you can put near their cage to cool them off? I have one of those moving fans and my pig seems to like the nice wind. I turn it on for him when it's hot in the house.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
If it is heat, you can freeze water bottles for them to lay next to.
Have you weighed them? Are they eating and drinking the same amount? Peeing and pooping OK?

blackieNbrownie

Cavy Slave
I have electric fans here but it blows the bedding and hay all around the floor. The cavies are eating a bit less than they used to but they've been drinking a lot of water and prefer more fresh veggies. They're still pooping and peeing normal amounts.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
They make safe cooling devices for inside the cage or the frozen water bottle is a great idea. You're weighing them weekly right? Have they lost any weight? I'm sure there are more people here who live in super hot weather that can add to this...come out come out wherever you are.

blackieNbrownie

Cavy Slave
I've just weighted them recently. Blackie the 5 month cavy weighs 400g. Brownie 4months old weighs 375g. I haven't weighed them before that. I've only had them for 2 months. They seem to be wheeking a bit normal now and even popcorning a lot. It's probably because of the food I've been feeding them a lot of freshly picked stuff recently.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Maybe they were having some "off" days. As for the fns, I wouldn't blow them right at the piggies, or the floor, since it's blowing stuff around. Can you aim them at the ceiling more? On an upward angle? Also, is it possible to put a fan in your bedroom doorway and blow some cool air out toward the pigs room?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.