Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions New pig is a demon, and a boar question

Adorable

Cavy Slave
I introduced my new guy to the girls yesterday. His age is unknown, though I think he’s between probably between 1 and 2. My girls are 5+ years and 6 months. They had a brief meeting when I got him last week and he was very timid so the girls took advantage of that and ran him a bit, but no real fighting. He’s been in a divided cage since then so they’ve been able to sniff and get to know each other.

There was no drama at all for the intro yesterday, except for him strutting around trying to get their attention. After an hour or so of that not working, he started mounting them and I don’t think it was just for dominance. My old girl put him in his place quickly, but the young girl thinks playing Rodeo Guinea Pig is quite fun. He’s settled down to the point he doesn’t seek her out but he can’t be next to her without starting up again.

His neuter was considered “safe” on the 26th, and I believe that was the six-week mark. Is this a personality thing, leftover hormones or because they just met? I know neutering doesn’t change them but the only other male I’ve had never even thought about doing this. Although, he was older and had been with his friend (my old girl) for a long time.

Anyway, here’s a funny picture I got yesterday when he was trying his best to impress the girls, after stealing a piece of lettuce from one of them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's a combination of the fact that they just met and that they are girls. He's going to hump them as often as he can. I have three neutered males, one each of which lives with three unspayed females. I also have two spayed females, one each of which lives with an intact male. The boys will hump the girls all day long, or until the girls put them in their place.

They will eventually reach a kind of truce, but the girls are going to have to make him understand what's okay and what's not. It might take a few days, but eventually they will have some peace. It's hard to watch from our end, but just give it some time and have some patience and they will work it out.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Where I volunteer at, with dogs and cats, all of the dogs are spayed/neutered, and one of the male dogs constantly insisted on mounting one of the females, and another male still insists on marking his territory. Someone there said that in some dogs, those "pre-neuter" behaviors are just so ground into their brains, that they sometimes don't let up or go away after they are neutered.
Also, it might be because they are still fairly new to each other, like you said. Give them about a week of introductions and the divided cage, and see how things are next saturday. Let us know how things progress if you get a minute!
Good luck!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh, and I wanted to mention, if you split them up (like in a divided cage) now, you will probably have to go through this whole thing all over again once they get together again. As hard as it is, you have to let them work it out, and the girls will eventually tell him where to go if he's bothering them. So unless he's hurting them, and as long as everyone can eat, etc., I'd let them be. It might take a few days, but they WILL work it out for sure.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
I have left them together and things have settled down quite a bit. When I wrote that earlier, I could see the same look in his eye but there’s been a lot less humping today and he doesn’t seem to think about it at all if there’s a distraction.

I just wasn’t sure if some males are like that and some aren’t, or if time would get him to focus on something else.

ArtisticRainey

Cavy Slave
I have a neutered boar and an intact sow that have been living together for over a year now. At first he was rather...active, but now he's very calm and just seems to like cuddling. He's one year six months. Even if he starts up again soon, he will calm down eventually.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Boars seem to get used to their ladies and feel less like they need to constantly hump them. But when you separate them and then put them back together, they say, "OooOOOooo womens! Let me love you up!"

If he continues to be a turd they'll probably pee in his face and bite his ears.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If he continues to be a turd they'll probably pee in his face and bite his ears.

The peeing in the face method seems to be the most effective (and the most popular) in my house. :) The girls also have an awesome kick-in-the-face maneuver that's just glorious.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
See, kicking backwards would involve muscle tone, which Suzi has none of, except in her bladder. She has pretty ferocious hydraulic pressure.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
Someone must be spraying because the cage is a stinky mess. It's not ammonia, but I'm guessing a boar smell. Does that go away after neutering? I'm starting to realize that I took for granted what a gentleman my old guy was. His worst offense was just peeing a lot in general.

New boy was much better during the day yesterday, but got a little crazy last night and she finally had enough. Maybe he'll give up after she does that 10 more times.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Boars seem to get used to their ladies and feel less like they need to constantly hump them. But when you separate them and then put them back together, they say, "OooOOOooo womens! Let me love you up!"

The peeing in the face method seems to be the most effective (and the most popular) in my house. :) The girls also have an awesome kick-in-the-face maneuver that's just glorious.

See, kicking backwards would involve muscle tone, which Suzi has none of, except in her bladder. She has pretty ferocious hydraulic pressure.

Paula and Salana, thank you for making my day! :D

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Someone must be spraying because the cage is a stinky mess. It's not ammonia, but I'm guessing a boar smell. Does that go away after neutering?

Does it smell like...old tuna fish sandwiches? a garbage dump lit on fire? stink bombs? It's probably boar cologne then. Especially if you see him turning his butt inside out to impress the ladies. (It never works.) Sometimes neutering helps the amount and the pungency of the smell, sometimes not.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My neutered boys produce as much boar stank as the unaltered boys. Fortunately, as they feel more secure in their piggy relationships they stop trying to impress with the musk.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
Yes, it smells like tuna salad that's been in the sun for a while and you don't notice the stench until you try to put some on your bread!

Changing out the fleece mats has been quite an experience these last couple days.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
That is definitely boar stank, then. Hopefully they will settle down!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.